Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Soul Writer

So school is just around the corner...well 1 week to be exact, at least for the kiddos....I am officially back on Monday (although I have been into my room many times already...they only give us one day..officially... to set up our rooms which is so NOT enough time to create the 'right' environment that promotes learning AND is fun!)  I have been busy getting my room set up for the new school year.  This year our building wide theme is Dr. Seuss.....so many fun ideas for decorating ....which I hope to upload pictures of my room by next week after open house.

Yesterday while at my daughter's dance class I was talking to one of the other moms there.  Within this conservation she made a comment that I just can't get out of my head.  She said 'we', (fill in the blank...teacher, friend, parent, etc.) are writing on the souls of these kids and even though I have always had a passion for teaching and inspiring my students.. this statement really made me reflect on myself, not just as a parent, but as a teacher.  WOW...what an important job we have!!!   Really....being a teacher is probably the most important job in the world...right next to being a parent.  Teachers spend sooo much time with their students...often more than the parents get to spend with their children..for whatever reason.....that we truly influence a child's thinking, not just in academics, but in just about everything that we model.  We are writing on their souls and will leave a stamp forever.  As I begin this new school year I feel that I have such an important job....yes......even more important than getting them to pass those standardized tests!!  Dr. Seuss made the statement..."Why fit in when you were born to stand out"...So if I am going to write on the souls of my students.... first, let it be feelings of acceptance, security and the confidence of who they are no matter where they are. Then let the learning begin...... :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the quote "why fit in when you were born to stand out". I will probably steal it....ha ha. Children shouldn't have to conform to what society or their peers think they should be. Some teachers are very special and you sound like one of those. Keep up the good work friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Tracy!!! I had another conversation with an individual while getting my haircut today and he got me thinking on something else..especially when it comes to standardization and how the system tries to make these students 'fit' in. We were talking about ADHD and how my son has ADHD (+ dyslexia)and I said I am probably ADHD too...just undiagnosed as a child..lol...(I am sure you could agree with this..I am definitely impulsive, think outside of the box....and sometimes people get me and sometimes not, and have many things going on all at once)...But despite this, my students always seem to get me and they have always blossomed whether in the classroom or on those dreaded standardized tests :( I have many sudents throughout the years with ADHD so I am saying this with experience as a parent and teacher on the topic.....and there has been a common trend...ready for this.......so many creative...successful.....high achieving people have ADHD!!!!...they can micro manage...make quick decisions...take risks... and the individual I was talking to made an observation and said that creative people are those individuals who, if they're not running the world now, will be..Really.... individuals who may have ADHD... and/or dyslexia as in my son's case... often are creative thinkers that are constantly coming up with new ideas to make something better and they often think outside of the box...they don't 'fit' in to what is typical...they process things in a different way than the typical person....and soon..because of the next generational experiences with technology...micromanaging....constant or instant changes and processing abilities that is possible because of technology...ADHD will no longer be looked at as a learning disability or not 'fitting' in. ADHD....Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder....is it really so bad? Technology requires a learner to be able to constantly shift their attention.....I know for me when I am inspired/motivated with so many ideas I can become very energized (hyper) but I have learned how to prioritize these ideas....make lists...etc....Really...because of how I am, I feel that I am more successful as a teacher, especially with this generation because they need constant change. I say embrace who you are and utilize your strengths. Once an individual learns how to channel/self direct their strengths in a passionate (yet positive and productive) way...watch out world nothing will stop them!!!

      Delete